How to Keep your Dog Cool in Hot Weather
Summer means fun pool parties, picnics in the park, hot weather. As the temperatures rise, follow our tips to make sure your dog stays cool and comfortable:
- Walk and exercise your dog in the early morning or evenings to avoid the hottest times of the day (usually between 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. during the summer).
- Add ice to their water dish.
- Buy a shallow, wading pool for your pup so they have a place to chill out.
- Give your dog an ice pack or wet towel to lay on.
- Bring a collapsible water dish on your walks. Many of them have clasps that can attach to your bag.
- Avoid walking on hot pavement, and consider booties to insulate their toes.
- Make your dog some homemade frozen treats. I like putting pieces of fruit in the ice trays to make a healthy cold snack.
First Aid for Heat Stroke
Some pets are more prone to heatstroke, like if they are very old, very young, overweight or out of shape, or have short muzzles. If you believe your pet is suffering from heatstroke, first move your pet to a shady area or somewhere air-conditioned. Apply ice packs or cold towels to their neck, head, and chest. Let them drink a little bit of cool water and then take them directly to your vet.
We love to hear from you! Tell us how you keep your pup cool in the summer.